Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
A Few Tips
Fire Damage can be devastating and stressful on a home or business owner and their Beverly Hills/Westwood property. It is very important that a trained professional handles all your Fire Damage Restoration needs. In the event that your home or business has suffered from fire and is in need of restoration, here are a few things you should know to do once it is safe to enter the property again.
Try not to move throughout the home too much to prevent further embedding any soot into upholstery and carpets. Wear gloves and keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork. Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas. If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open. A light coating of petroleum jelly or oil can help to clean and protect any chrome. Change HVAC filter. Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (310) 390-7540
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.